beats by dre headphones amazon UMBC Beats Marist

best price on beats headphones UMBC Beats Marist

Check out our gallery from UMBC’s narrow win over Marist, 9 8, in overtime.

(Inside Lacrosse Photos: Jaclyn Borowski)

BALTIMORE UMBC rallied from a five goal halftime deficit and prevailed, 9 8, over visiting Marist just six seconds into overtime on junior defenseman Garrett Hasken’s (Odenton, Md./DeMatha) first collegiate goal.

The Retrievers allowed six consecutive goals and fell behind, 7 2, after 30 minutes. But the hosts outscored the Red Foxes, 4 0, in the third quarter and knotted the game up at 7 7 and 8 8 late in the fourth quarter.

Hasken, a starter on close defense, was one of four Retrievers to take draws in the game and won four of six in regulation. In the extra period, he uncharacteristically popped the draw forward and raced into the offensive zone. No Marist defender slid to him and Hasken beat goalkeeper Brian Corrigan with a seven yard shot to the keeper’s stick side and just under the crossbar.

“We went in (to the locker room) and said, we need to keep our poise, it’s a long game and it’s a 0 0 score right now,” UMBC head coach Don Zimmerman said. “Our offense started to work the ball and take better shots. I’m so happy for our team. They’re great kids, they’re working hard and they really earned this win.”

UMBC (1 3) snapped a season opening three game slide, while Marist (1 3), a 2015 NCAA Tournament squad, played its fourth game decided by two or fewer goals on the campaign.

The five goal comeback is the largest deficit UMBC has erased and triumphed in since a 17 16 victory over Albany on April 21, 2012. The overtime contests was just UMBC’s third in the past three seasons.

The contest featured a plethora of standout performance for UMBC. In addition to Hasken’s game winning goal and career best six ground balls, senior defender Zach Esser (Forest Hill, Md,
beats by dre headphones amazon UMBC Beats Marist
/Fallston) caused a career high five turnovers, collected four ground balls and led the UMBC defense as they permitted only one goal after halftime. Junior goalkeeper Ruston Sounder (Pasadena, Md./Chesapeake), who entered the game in the second half, made five saves and allowed just one goal in his first action of the season.

Marist junior attackman Joseph Radin, who entered the game second in the nation in goals per game, scored a game high three goals and added an assist, but was kept off the board by Esser in the second half. Red shirt sophomore netminder Brian Corrigan, who led the country in save percentage (66.7) heading into the weekend, made eight second quarter stops en route to a 16 save performance.

Marist opened the scoring on a goal by Gannon Morrison at the 3:42 mark, but UMBC countered with goals by senior attackman Drew Borsody (Germantown, Md./Seneca Valley) and Gannon on a man up situation to take a 2 1 lead with 8:16 to play in the first quarter. But Connelly and Marist shut the door on UMBC for nearly 27 minutes and Radin tallied three times in that span to lead the Red Fox offense.

UMBC freshman midfielder Pat Clipp (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) broke the drought at the 3:32 mark of the third quarter with an unassisted tally and shifted the momentum toward the Retrievers. Gannon, Borsody and Baker added goals to give the Retrievers four tallies in a span of 5:24 and cut the deficit to 7 6 after three quarters.

Neither team could get much going offensively and the game was scoreless for over 15 minutes. But Retriever freshman midfielder Billy Nolan (Crofton, Md./Arundel) converted a Baker pass at the 9:25 mark to knot the score for the first time since early in the first stanza. Marist senior attackman Dillon Walker restored his side’s one goal lead, converting after Morrison picked up a loose ball and fed him for an empty netter with just 3:50 remaining.

But Baker, who has recorded four goals in his last two games, dodged a Red Fox defender in the right alley and blasted a shot past Connelly with 2:15 to play to even the game for the third time.

UMBC nearly won the contest in regulation, but a rocket shot by freshman Jack Andrews (Arnold, Md./St. Mary’s) struck Connelly in the helmet and clanged off the post with 34 seconds to play. Marist got a final possession in regulation, but turned the ball over with three seconds to play.

UMBC outshot Marist, 39 26 and edged the Red Foxes, 11 10,
beats by dre headphones amazon UMBC Beats Marist
on draws and 31 25 in ground balls. The Retrievers converted on two of four man up chances and did not commit a penalty in the contest.